Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Number of pages should restart with section page numbers

No, the NumPages field is the number of pages; it would be absurd for it to
be anything else. In your case, SectionPages was the correct field to use.
In cases where a multi-section chapter restarts numbering (which is
continuous throughout the chapter), neither field will work, and a different
workaround will be required, but having NumPages equal SectionPages wouldn't
help there, either.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
The following is a suggestion for Microsoft's next iteration of Word.

I just created a document consisting of three sections. I restarted page
numbering at 1 in each section. I used the "Page x of y" footer.

Now section 1 has the footers Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Then section 2

has
pages numbered Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Section 3 has pages labeled Page

1
of 7, Page 2 of 7, Page 3 of 7.

I think the last page of each section should always have the same page
number as the page count. (For example, page 2 of 2, page 3 of 3.)

It took a long time for me to figure out how to solved the problem: I
replaced the "y" field with the field code {sectionpages} in the footer.

Would it be a good idea for Microsoft to change the "Page x of y" autotext
to default to this?

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.