Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dusty

Default Table of Contents -- All page numbers appear as "1"

I was finally able to get to my boss's computer and sure enough, he had the
"Allow starting in Reading Layout" checked on his computer. I unchecked it
and it seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much Stefan. This was
very helpful!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Make sure that the "Allow starting in Reading Layout" is cleared on
the General tab of ToolsOptions. Note that this is a setting that
must be changed for each individual user.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dusty" wrote in message
I created a table of contents. I updated it several times and the

entries
and corresponding page numbers were correct, however, when I sent

the
document to my boss and he updated the Table of Contents, all the

page
numbers for all the entries showed up as "1." I then sent the

document to a
coworker. When she updated it, the page numbers generated

correctly, but on
my boss's computer, the page numbers for all the entries were still

showing
up as "1" instead of the actual page number. He then forwarded his

copy to a
colleague and when this person updated it, the page numbers now all

showed up
as "2." He sent the document back to me, but the page numbers

updated
correctly on my computer. Does anyone know what's causing the

numbers to
show correctly on one person's computer but incorrectly on someone

else's?
He then opened the document several days later and the page numbers

updated
correctly. I am totally befuddled. We finally had to send it to

the client
as a PDF file instead of a Word document because we couldn't trust

it. We
are all using Word 2003 and Windows XP. Thanks very much.