Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Why do some AutoText entries not AutoComplete?

Hi David,

In my copy of Word 2003, typing "dear mom" does make the AutoComplete
tip appear.

The most likely reason for it not to appear is that you've defined
another AutoText entry that also begins with "dear mom" and differs
from "Dear Mom and Dad" in some later character. Word won't show an
AutoComplete tip until the text it's scanning uniquely matches exactly
one AutoText entry.

Open the Insert AutoText AutoText dialog and look at the list --
if there are two entries that start with "dear mom" they'll be
adjacent.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:11:29 -0400, "David Horowitz"
wrote:

Folks,

I've seen this question asked many times, but haven't quite seen an answer.

Out of the box, Word 2002/2003 have "Dear Mom and Dad" and "Best wishes".

If you type "best w", "best wishes," comes up on AutoComplete.

If you type "dear mom", nothing comes up.

Is there an easy explanation?

Thanks!

David