If you right-click on any button while in the Customize dialog, you will see
the Name property of the button.

"glindauer" wrote in message
Once I click customize, I can no longer figure out what some of the

existing
buttons (especially ones that are new for Office 2003) are. This makes it
more difficult to place new buttons, or remove default buttons which I

won't
end up using.

I prefer to have only a dozen or so buttons, and use menus for less

familiar
actions, but don't know what features I'm getting rid of because I can't
identify the buttons. Currently I find myself leaving customize to

identify
buttons, and then going back into it to remove buttons, then leaving it

again
and coming back in, etc. Tooltips could continue to work in Customize

mode,
or some other method could help you identify what an existing toolbar

button
is.