Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Change Default from "Insert Entire Caption"

You could insert a bookmark enclosing exactly the piece of text that you
want to cross-reference, and then insert a cross-reference to the bookmark.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JenC" wrote in message
I use table/figure captions and cross-referencing a lot (currently using
Word
2007, but same issue for other versions).

When I insert a cross-reference, the default is always to insert the
"Entire
Caption" as the cross-reference. I can change this (for example, if I'm
inserting a table cross-reference, I change it to "Only Label and
Number"),
but as soon as I switch to inserting a figure cross-reference, the default
switches back to "Entire Caption" again. When I'm switching often between
figures and tables, it's extra clicks every time, which is very annoying!

This drives me crazy - I never, never insert an entire caption as a
cross-reference! Is there some way to make "label and number" the default
option for cross-references? I've looked but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,
Jen