Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Office 2003 and 2007 on same machine

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Hi. I'm posting to a Word an an Excel group, because I suspect and
hope the answer is the same but fear it might not be.

At work yesterday I installed Office 2007 (except Outlook) on the
same computer where I had office 2003. I'm still able to open and run
Excel 2003 and Word 2003, but when I double-click on an .RTF or .DOC
or .XLS file the 2007 program opens.

I want to retain the 2003 file associations for all file types that
Office 2003 can cope with. I thought I could do this with "Open
With..." and selecting the 2003 programs through browsing, but
unfortunately Windows ignores that selection.

My question: how can I set things up so that Office 2007 opens .docx
and .xlsx files when I double-click them, but Office 2003 opens .doc
and .rtf and .xls files when I double-click them?

I don't think you can...as 2007 deals with 2003 and prior documents anyway,
why would you want to?