Default Word 2003 mail merge conditional numeric formatting

I did not have this mail merge problem before with old M$ Office 97 but
using the same Word template don't work well with Word 2003. My source
data column in Excel 2003 contains some information currently displayed
and formatted as 'General' mostly with one decimal place and few whole
numbers (without decimals) like below.

NUM
47
52.8
75.6
38
24.1
27.8

In the old Word 97 it will output as is but Word 2003 { MERGEFIELD
''NUM'' } will output

47
52.799999999999997
75.599999999999994
38
24.100000000000001
27.800000000000001

If I try { MERGEFIELD ''NUM'' \# ''0.0''} then
47.0
52.7
75.5
38.0
24.1
27.8

How can I output as whole number if decimal reminder is zero?