Well, the printer I use now has this wonderfully computerized guillotine
that I am happy to watch him use. It has all kinds of modern OSHA-approved
safety protections, of course.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
My grandfather (and father) was a printer also so I had the same childhood
experiences of wandering around his premises - and that guillotine used to
give me nightmares. Even today I would not wish to go near such a device

50 years on and I can still smell the hot lead, ink and paper dust. Happy
days

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You make me quite envious. I was always intrigued by the way things
were done in proper setups, but I never had the equipment myself (or
really any need for it, since I was producing only MS). But my
grandfather was a printer, so I did get to have my name cast in
Linotype every summer, wander amongst the presses, play with the
perforating machine, watch the folder (whose operations were nothing
short of miraculous, but too rapid to fathom), and (as sternly
warned) stay strictly clear of the guillotine.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote
in message ...
LOL - this thread certainly brought back some memories :-). In the
1970s ICL provided cans of rubber cement for the odd occasions when
the authors did their own CRC. I can remember a colleague literally
falling over in hysterics at the end of a long afternoon pasting in
pictures of data entry forms. (I also remember when the cleaners,
searching for coins or snacks in someone's top drawer, left a poorly
lidded can on its side ... ).

When we got into CRC in a big way here in the 80s we quickly found
that sticking graphics into hundreds of pages of troff output and
meeting printers' deadlines demanded a proper scalpel, wax roller
kit and a home-made light box.

By that stage we had an artist producing graphics on the Mac and had
left the Rotring and the Letraset behind - I think the Letraset
finally got thrown out when it started spattering tiny shards in the
drawer with the slide rule!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I did this only in an amateurish sort of way. I used rubber cement,
too, though also flirted with glue sticks and spray adhesive and
roll-on adhesives of various sorts. It would have helped
tremendously to have a light box, something I acquired only after
my need for it was largely over (I had to depend on eyeballing and
windowpanes). But my paste-ups were not for CRC--just manuscripts.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Rubber cement was a buzz, indeed, (although I have grave doubts
about the quality your cannabis!) ... but a waxing machine was
what the pros all used.

I'll bet your Letraset's lost all its serifs by now.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
You used wax? We used rubber cement -- almost as much fun as
cannabis! We had a little photosetter for headlines, but we did
use tons of Letraset for labeling illustrations. I still have a
box of it tucked away under my desk (not far from the slide rule).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:57:20 +1100, "Jezebel"
wrote:

Not nearly as much fun, though. Don't you miss the smell of wax,
or all those hours spent Letrasetting the headings?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
In the "olden days" when I created documents on a typewriter,
CRC was routinely "shot down" because typewriter text was large
and ungainly and illustrations that weren't necessarily perfect
were enhanced by reduction.
In those days, graphs, drawings, photographs, etc., had to be
pasted up on
the CRC. If you'd ever visited a newspaper or an ad agency, you
would have
seen people "making up pages" in this way. Creating a document
using page
layout software (or even word processing software such as Word)
is exponentially easier than it was in those days!

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"C Tate" wrote in
message ...
Thank you both very much indeed for such helpful replies. Is
there anything I can refer to to learn even more about this?
(It sounds like just making
sure your document is perfect for the camera though there are
sometimes other considerations such as the CRC being a fixed
percentage larger than
the ultimate output).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
C Tate wrote:
Hope this doesn't seem a slightly off the wall question! But
if somebody asks for 'camera ready copy' in Word what
exactly do they mean?!!!!

In offset printing (the cheapest, easiest method), someone
uses a press
camera to take a picture of each original page. Through
several steps the negative from that camera is used to make
printing plates that apply ink
sheets of paper. The original page is "camera ready" when it
contains all the text and graphics that should be in the
final printing, and nothing
else. (Technically, since the film in the press camera is
insensitive to
light blue, it's possible to write comments on camera ready
pages with
light
blue pencil. This is usually allowed only in the margins,
though.) It means
a spell-check has been done, all corrections have been made,
all fonts
and
formatting are in place, headers and footers are included,
etc.

This isn't exclusively a Word thing -- in fact, once you've
used the computer printer to put a Word document on paper, it
doesn't matter whether
the pages came from Word or from Mars. In fact, I would never
say that
document is "camera ready" while it exists only as an
electronic document.

The amount of work needed to convert camera ready copy into
printing plates,
and the extra work and expense that may be needed to fix
errors after that stage, mean that you have to be very sure
that everything is right before you say the pages are "camera
ready".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman