Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Manage Styles window query

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Take for example basing a style on "(no style)". In past versions it would
always default to the hard-wired TNR 10pt/12pt. In Word 2007 new styles

Sorry to be a pest, but again, I had to try it :-)
(Still on my Word 2003 SP3 machine).

I created a style based on "no style" and did not change anything at all.
This new style was identical to my Normal style (Arial Regular 12). Then, I
went to the Font dialog box and selected a non-default font ("X-files"), then
bold and then 24 points. I clicked on "Default". I closed Word. It asked me
if I wanted to change my Normal.dot (I have that option checked), I clicked
on "Yes".
I re-opened Word and again created a style based on "no style" and did not
change anything. It was formated with the X-files font, bold and 24. Then
again I closed Word. I re-tried the right-click on dektop to create a new
Word document. It was set to X-files bold 24.
So I guess do not grasp the concept of application default in Word 2003.
I understand it for 2007 though..

Ah, and then I did not forget to set my default back to Arial regular 12!