Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

Default Document with Section Breaks & Footers

Hi Stefan,
I appreciate your help but I'm a bit confused about where to use this SEQ
field. I'm not overly familiar with them although I've been doing some
reading this morning.
First, the pages I want with a separate page numbering schema are set apart
as a section within the document using section breaks and the style Heading
1. Conveniently enough, it is section 2 of my document as well as being
numbered "2" (2. Synopsis). Also, I'm unsure of what you mean by your
direction "...include the paragraph in the TOC". The heading is part of the
ToC already.

I would like the page numbering in the footer of this section to use an "S"
instead of a "2" as the chapter number (i.e., S1 of S2 not 2-1 of 2-2). I
did this originally by typing an S before the Page number field. Using the
SEQ string you provided below didn't give me that so I must be doing
something incorrectly.

When I added the \s switch to the ToC, the page numbering for my section
showed up as Page 3 which is the actual page number but not what I need.

I hope I'm being clear. As you can see I'm very confused about what to do
next.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

To include heading numbers with page numbers, first you will have to make
sure that the relevant heading is in a separate section.

Then you can use the "Include chapter number" option in the Page Number
Format dialog box (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm).

Alternatively, use a SEQ field to create the number in the document, include
the paragraph in the TOC and add the \s switch to the TOC field. For
example, if numbering is done using this field: { SEQ test \r 19 \*
ALPHABETIC } (which produces the letter "S"), you will have to add \s "test"
to the end of the TOC code as follows: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \s "test" }. (Note
that the field code is just an example. Depending on the options chosen,
other switches could be present.)

To show/hide field codes, use Alt+F9. After you've edited the field code,
use F9 to update the result.

~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"songinthedark" wrote in message
"songinthedark" wrote:

Thanks. That problem is fixed.
I have another issue and I don't know if or how it can be done.
I have section 2 page numbering (Synopsis) set differently from the rest
of the document so that it can be a standalone document as needed. I
used SECTION PAGES field code to set it up with the numbering SX of SX.

Can I set up the Table of Contents page number for this section to include
this label "S"?
Currently it says:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............1
3. ToC.....................3

I want it to say:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............S1
3. ToC.....................3

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"songinthedark" wrote in
message
I did what you suggested but the SectionPages field keeps defaulting
to a
total page count of 1 instead of 2. So my footers read "S1 of S1, S2
of
S1".
I've updated the fields but it still comes out the same way.
Any suggestions?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes, change the { NUMPAGES } field
in
the footer to a { SECTIONPAGES } field, and press Alt+F9 again to
display field results.

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The
first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second
section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to
appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead
of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's
counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!