Winston

I have a related question... Using Access and Word. Mail merge. I
understand that Word Docs store data source in actual doc and therefore the
data source cannot be dynamic... In addition, in a multi user system, I need
the data source in a consistent location (ie DB) so that all users can use
the same mail merge docs... since the data source is a table (and not a
query) then how can I allow multiple users to run a mail merge at the same
time... if they are populating a mail merge table in access, then they will
all populate the same table (in order to use the same documents) and possibly
mix their mail merge data with each other. Is this question clear?

Possible solution: Make the data source a query (not sure how to do this as
the only options I see are tables) and somehow pass a parameter back to
Access from Word so that the query will run properly and select only the mail
merge data for the user running the particular mail merge...

Alternatively, put the mail merge table on the users local pc in a
consistent location so that all users running mail merge see the same data
source (and since it is on their local machine they get only their own
data)... this would work fine except for thin clients.

Is my question clear or confusing.
thanks,
Winston

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you change the connection method to DDE in Word (check Word
Tools|Options|General|COnfirm conversion at open, then go through the
connection process again, and choose DDE when offered, you will probably see
most tables and queries. However, Word has to run a copy of Access to do
that.

By default, Word 2003 uses OLEDB to connect, and certain query types cannot
be used, especially:
a. parameter queries (if you run them in Access you will be prompted for
some values to be plugged into the query)
b. queries that use user-defined functions written in Access VBA

Other types of query, e.g. Union queries, queries using certain functions
(one or two of the financial ones, for example), and queries using wildcards
(*?%?) either may not be visible or may not work.

Peter Jamieson

"SarahB" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and Access 2003

I have a database with many queries, some of which are different types. I
am trying to create a mail merge with a regular Select query.

When I say to use that database as a data source, all of my other select
queries and tables are in the list for me to choose from except that one.