Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Default Equations in Word 2007 compatibility mode

Peter,

Spin the thread how you like.

I did not intend to be discourteous or malicious to the OP. revivalgurl
[sic] did not indicate that she had taken offense in her follow up post.
She had every opportunity to pour on scorn and indignation along with you
and Ms. Barnhill. She did not. Perhaps she wasn't offended. If she wasn't
it only makes your indignation more irrelevant.

Everything that followed your "Are there no courtesy requirements for
becomng [sic] an MVP" remark is a direct result of that remark. Even your
fan club captain classifies the remark as careless and intended only to
chastise me. Others can have and share their opinions regarding remarks that
you direct at other people and they can even presume to know your intent. In
fact, only you know your true intent and the recipient has the exclusive
right to determine how a he or she receives a remark. Yours was deliberate
and received with the full measure of your honed arrogance. It was a direct
attack, a haughty insult. You threw your glove full in my face. In an
earlier era, it you could have had it returned to your wrapped around a
bullet. Unlike that era, I offered you the opportunity to take it back. You
have spurned several private attempts at reconciliation, which only confirms
your intent coincides with the manner the remark was received. You have not
retracted the remark, nor have you softened it. It carries the same force
today as the day you made it. No, I am not going to forget it or act now
like you never made it.

While that beer summit or room with a brace of pistols would end this
matter, I will make you another offer at reconciliation.

I don't expect, no I can certainly say that I will never consider you a
friend, peer or associate, but I also don't really want to stay forever on
one side of an argument (right or wrong). I think that a man in himself
wrapped up makes a very small package and perhaps we can find a way to step
back from the fray and co-contribute amicably to the Word forum. Call it an
offer of cease-fire if you like.

Here are some terms for you to consider:

1. Apologize publicly for insults that you have directed towards me
directly past and present, actual and perceived. Apologize for the
disparaging public remarks that you have made about me here in this support
forum. You don't have to enumerate them. A general apology will do. On
this, I will take the lead.

Peter, I apologize for all remarks that I have made which have insulted
you or which have been disparaging of your character. They are inexcusable,
inappropriate, often mean spirited, and spawned from my anger or ego.

2. Post when and wherever you like, but stay in your range of expertise.
Always be open to the ideas and suggestion of others. If you venture
outside your range then try to be correct.

3. Stop posting your opinions as statements of fact. If you think something
is easy or if you prefer one method to another then say so in that manner.
Stop insisting or trying to prove that your ways are always best, easiest,
fastest, etc. Let others decided for themselves what is easiest between a
set of given options and decide for themselves if the effort/advantage of
pursuing one approach justifies taking that approach over another.

4. Stop disparaging the contributions and skills of others and selective
advanced Word features. Stop throwing up roadblocks and detours when a user
seeks information on a particular feature or function that you don't
understand or that you don't wish to pursue yourself.

5. STOP SHOUTING in the newsgroup.

6. Bridle your arrogance.

These are fairly simple and reasonable terms. Perhaps unpleasant, but they
are not an unconditional surrender. Give them some thought. Let me know
which one or ones stick in your craw and perhaps we can work it out.

Cheers

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
In hindsight it's understandable that Greg Maxey would not recognize
the sentence "Mastery of both [spellcheck and use of the shift key]
will go a long way in making your questions easier to read" as
discourteous.

That he failed to understand the extensive discussion of his
discourtesies that ensued is even more troubling.

On Aug 19, 11:26 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
Sure Peter. As dirty laundry is already in the air, I'll share the
reference with you again and with your collective we (whoever that
is):

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cmanagement/br...

This way the collective we can see that you, like me, might try
spell-checking your insults before clicking "Send."
becomng??

Cheers,

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Aug 19, 5:37 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
Peter,

I'll remind you that I admitted my own fallibility regarding poor
spelling ("Being a notorious poor speller myself I am ...") in the
first post of the exchange, that you now call imagined, where you
hurled the first insult "Are there no courtesy requirements for
being and MVP?" If this is a fight between you and I then you
picked it and you picked it then.

I take it you don't plan _ever_ to provide a reference to the remark
that so sticks in your craw, so that we can see what provoked it?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org