Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default W07: How to turn table gridlines on or off _without_ there being a table present ...

I never work without the Show Text Boundaries enabled. This options shows
table gridlines by default.

I never understood how users manage to use Word with any success without
being able to see boundaries and non-printing characters.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"StargateFanNotAtHome" wrote in
message
The ribbon is really a pain in the .... I tried very briefly to
explain to a colleague how to turn gridlines on. He really needs this
and I'd like to let him know how gridlines would help with the grief
he has re certain portions of text in some templates he is required to
use regularly. But I'm not near him to go and do this for him. I
need to find an easier way to explain by phone or email.

I haven't been able to figure out how to turn them on when there isn't
a table present. See, with most users, their first response is,
'well, how can I look for tables if I can't see them'? And if you
can't see the tables to put your cursor is so that the dang ribbon
changes and _then_ shows option to turn them on ... well, sheesh ...
We can figure out; we powers users know tricks to get around 2007's
stupidities.

In Word 2003, whether or not tables are present, you can turn them on
or off very easily; the option is there for all the world to see:

TABLE SHOW GRIDLINES
or
TABLE HIDE GRIDLINES
depending on what the case might be.

What's the backdoor or alternate way without going the vb route in
07? The "usual" way that is all that google is bringing up is
atrocious - find a table in Word 2007 (which you can't see if the
gridlines are off), put your cursor somewhere inside it, then find the
new Table Tools option that only then comes up, and _then_ click on
LAYOUT and _then_ click on VIEW GRIDLINES under the first section
labelled TABLE???!! arggghhhh

Thanks.