Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Help - Word 2003 opening trouble

The advice is to disable the Norton Office Plug-in, not the antivirus
scanner. As far as we can tell, the Office Plug-in doesn't provide any
protection that isn't given by the regular "real-time protection"
(scanning files as they're opened), but it does sometimes cause these
problems.

My opinion (and only that): Symantec spent -- and continues to spend
-- much more care, time, and money on the actual antivirus
functionality than on the peripheral bits such as the Office add-in.
Probably that's as it should be. The tests and reviews in the major
magazines always rate Norton as one of the two or three best antivirus
packages overall. Still, it would be nice if this minor annoyance was
fixed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:19:12 +1000, wrote:

Wonder what happened to Norton's. It used to be such a good product. Now the
universal advice (and it seems to work) is 'disable Norton's.

"CharBhasha" wrote in message
Suzanne,
Thank you so much. It is working now.
CB

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you have Norton AntiVirus installed, disable its Office Plug-in. If
that's not the problem, it's probably due to another add-in.

so
all may benefit.

"CharBhasha" wrote in message
As I double click on a document file (.doc file),
Word opens with an error msg like this -
Microsoft Office Word
"The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open.
Click OK, and then close open dialog boxes to continue."

But I can open the Word, then open the doc file from within the
Word without any problem. I have unloaded the whole Office
and re-loaded it back. But I still have the same problem.

How do I fix this problem? Any help will be highly appreciated.

CB