See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

"Murray Anderson" wrote in
message ...
I need to insert page numbers in the header of a Word 2002 document in the

form
"Page XX of YY"
The document is in multiple sections and the last page (YY) is not the
actually the final page (it is followed by appendices, also in multiple
sections).

If I use the field codes:
"Page { PAGE } of { PAGEREF end }", where the bookmark "end" points at

page
YY, I occasionally get the right result in the final document. More often
than not, I get pages numbered "Page 1 of 1", "Page 2 of 2" etc in the
printed document. This problem is common to everyone in our company; is
there a robust workround or fix for it?