Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail

Default Joining tables

Jackie - I am trying to do the same thing.
Did you ever come up with another solution other than taking the table Excel?
The tables I want to join have kind lots of formatting...I don't want to redo.
(My head is hurting too - I completely relate to your frustration)

"Jackie Smith" wrote:

Sorry but I couldn't get it to work. I copied part of an Excel spreadsheet
(no header) and pasted it under a table in Word. For the life of me I cannot
join the two tables and have tried all that has been suggested. The only way
around for me is to copy to Word table into Excel, this joins easily, I can
sort and whatever, then copy and paste back into Word. Defeated. Thanks
anyway.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that neither of the tables is wrapped and that the top row of the
second table is not formatted as a heading row.

"Jackie Smith" wrote in message
I have a table in word which I would like to join to another table copied

and
pasted from excel. I followed the advice previously given to Dave Neve on
8/25/2005. My brain hurts, have tried all suggested but to no avail.

Heavy
black line between tables and they don't join. Have had everyone in my
company trying to do it. It won't work. Perhaps MS could incorporate
something on the dropdown from Tools (similar to Split table) which would
join a table. Please help.

Many thanks

Jackie

To connect two tables, delete the paragraph mark that separates them.

If tables are separated not only by the paragraph mark but also by
text,
you would of course have to delete that to -- or cut and paste it to

different location.

You may want to display nonprinting marks so that you'll be able to
see
paragraph marks. Click the "Show/Hide ¶" button on the Standard
toolbar.
Paragraph marks will display as "¶":

|---|--|
| | |
|---|--|

|---|--|
| | |
|---|--|

Note that you cannot connect tables with text wrapping set (on the
Table
tab of TableTable Properties).