Ian

Thanks for the information.

Yeah, I agree that it's a bit of a waste, but it is a style that's required
in the document I'm working on. Actually, I'm surprised Word will not allow
more customization of the footnote reference marks. I would imagine it's
quite easy to allow the same type of customization as we get when we
customize numbers in outline formats. Thankfully, there are not too many
footnotes in my document. Thanks again!!!

Ian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is a requirement in certain government/legal styles--a holdover from
typewriter days, when superscript was not as common or easy, so footnote
numbers were put in parens or brackets (as is often still done in Web pages,
emails, NG posts, etc.).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, Ian
wrote:

When I insert a footnote in Word 2003 (using Windows XP) the footnote
reference mark is a single number in superscript -- is it possible to

make
this number show up within parenthesis? In other words the mark in the

body
of the document will go from 3 to (3) and the same in the footnote

section,
from 3 to (3)...Thanks!

There's no way to do it automatically. If you insist, you can type
your own parentheses and format them as superscripts. Seems to me like
a lot of pointless work...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman