Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Cannot open .docx email attachments

Are you double-clicking on the attachment? Have you tried right-clicking on
it and choosing Save As?

http://word.mvps.org

"dumbguy" wrote in message
It won't let you rename the file, it opens in an temp folder and then it
stays "in use" or you cannot find the temp folder (I have my folders
unhidden)

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Before trying to open the .zip file, rename it to .docx.

http://word.mvps.org

"dumbguy" wrote in message
Graham,

It will not allow me to save the attachment on the harddrive, goes
straight
into the zip format.

The office suite allows me to open excell and PPT sent in 2007 but the
word
won't. I don't have trouble with a .docx file already saved to the
harddrive
just the ones sent via email.

PS I am also the powerbythehour (ie orginal poster) must have been a
while
since I last posted.

I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open .docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file.
1) After the zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there
isn't
document there.
2) I can open .docx files saved on the harddrive or
transferred via any medium besides email (ie CD or flash).
3) I cannot right-click and save the document either
4) I am not getting the email on my outlook 2007 but a webmail account.

--
Dumb guy w/ dumb questions

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It has never been good practice to open attachments directly from
e-mail,
and my first recommendation would be to save the attachments to the
hard
drive. However the issue is undoubtedly related to the way your system
handles compressed formats like docx. Docx is in fact a zip file
containing
XML elements and if renamed to have a zip extension behaves exactly
like
zip file (some zip tools like WinRAR can open it as it stands). Check
your
file associations in respect of docx to see which zip function is
activated
in preference to Word 2007. -
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm
*may* help with that.

powerbythehour wrote:
I am running Vista 64 SP2, IE 8, and Office 2007. I cannot open
.docx
attachments, when I try it autosaves into a zip file. 1) After the
zip file is saved and I try to open the zip file there isn't a