Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Form Field Number Format Problem

If you use Alt+0160 to set the Digit separator in the Regional and Language
Options item on the Control Panel, a non-breaking space is used as the
digits separator and then the entry is treated as one number when used as an
input to another Calculation type formfield.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
What if your system is set to display multidigit numbers in a way
other than the US standard, i.e. with spaces (or periods = full stops)
rather than commas every three digits?

On Aug 4, 5:17 am, Peter Jamieson
wrote:
FWIW I tried to find out what the discrepancy between the two results of
macropod's ### ### ##0.00 approach.

In essence, it works the macropod way on Word 2000, and quite likely on
versions earlier than that, and on Mac Word - at least 2008, so I would
guess earlier versions as well.

It works the Graham/Doug way on Windows versions of Word from 2002
onwards.

I don't have a different/better solution, sorry.

There's one potential problem with both of the solutions which is that
the input number is treated as more than one number once it is split
using either type of space. In other words, if you have form fields
text1 formatted with the space/non-breaking space, and text2 as a
calculation set to =text1, text2 will be the sum of the separated parts
of the number in text1. Which may or may not affect the OP.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

Same here, even if I modify the digit grouping symbol in the Control
PanelRegional and Language Options. It was only after trying all sorts
of formatting switches that I resorted to creating the macro.

Wait a minute, it does work if you use Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to insert the
space in the formatting switch

# ##0.0

Also, the switch shown above is all that is required no matter how many
digits are contained in the number-