Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Form Field Number Format Problem

Hi Peter,

The differences in behaviour suggest there's a bug in some Word versions - One should at least expect Word 2008 and 2007 to behave
the same - my preference (and I suspect most users' preference) for a fix would be to have all versions work the same as Word 2008.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message ...
FWIW I tried to find out what the discrepancy between the two results of macropod's ### ### ##0.00 approach.

In essence, it works the macropod way on Word 2000, and quite likely on versions earlier than that, and on Mac Word - at least
2008, so I would guess earlier versions as well.

It works the Graham/Doug way on Windows versions of Word from 2002 onwards.

I don't have a different/better solution, sorry.

There's one potential problem with both of the solutions which is that the input number is treated as more than one number once it
is split using either type of space. In other words, if you have form fields text1 formatted with the space/non-breaking space,
and text2 as a calculation set to =text1, text2 will be the sum of the separated parts of the number in text1. Which may or may
not affect the OP.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Same here, even if I modify the digit grouping symbol in the Control PanelRegional and Language Options. It was only after
trying all sorts of formatting switches that I resorted to creating the macro.

Wait a minute, it does work if you use Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to insert the space in the formatting switch

# ##0.0

Also, the switch shown above is all that is required no matter how many digits are contained in the number