TF

The first and most important rule regarding numbering in Word is not to use
any of the built in tools on the toolbars. They are only any use for the
simplest of documents. Word's numbering is far from easy to use (that's the
polite way to say it), but if you go to the following link and read it
carefully, you will be able to get a grasp on the problems. You'll find
loads of other useful information at the site too, including some tips for
WordPerfect users struggling to adapt to Word.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
: We are struggling with the changeover to Word 2000, made necessary
: because with our new network software WordPerfect kept crashing.
:
: In creating legal documents it is important to keep manual control of
: numbering and lettering. This is because we are often quoting from the
: middle of other documents, and we often have to start with (say)
: subparagraph "r", skip to "t", and go on to sub-subparagraph (iii),
: etc.
:
: I see that to indent after a number or letter, you type the number or
: letter, hit TAB, then CTRL+T (hanging indent), and type. The text
: wraps around and you get an evenly indented paragraph after the letter
: number. For example:
:
: 2. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
: blah blah blha blha blha alah alhaal bla ha lh.
:
: 3. Blah lahg lha a blh ablh a blh blah blah blh alh
: l alh lha lha lah .
:
: etc.
:
: But this doesn't work if you want to indent twice. What I want is:
:
: 3. a. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
:
: b. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
: blah blah blah blah
:
: After hitting the TAB after "a.", I hit CTRL+T -- but then the "a" gets
: indented too. Further, only the first line indents twice -- the text
: then wraps back to the first indent. Hitting CTRL+M is even worse
: because the "3" gets indented as well.
:
: Making a doubly indented paragraph is a routine, everday task, and I
: assume the solution must be simple too. How do I get it to indent
: twice without indenting the number and letter too?
: