Graham Mayor

The header is fixed by having a different first page header and setting the
first and subsequent page headers before you merge. As indicated in my last
post, Word will remember what you have setup when you remove the temporary
page break. Setting up letterheads is explained in more detail at
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

The date is a little more complex, but the simplest plan is to use a Quote
field
{Quote {Date \@ "d MMM yyyy"}}
will fix the date as text in the merged document. Change the mask to suit
local date patterns.

Karen Hart wrote:
Graham,
I already have that in my merge source document. My question is, how
to be sure that header as well as the first page date are both fixed
after the merge is complete. :-)
Karen

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The user shouldn't have to remember to insert a second page header.
Set the
second page header up in the document template (or the merge source
document) Word remembers the header settings. Insert a temporary page
break,
create your headers then remove the page break - see
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Karen Hart wrote:
Since there will be a date at the top of the letter, as well as in
the second page header, is there some code I can put in at the end
of the merge, so the end user does not have to remember to do this
every time they create a letter?
Thank you,
Karen

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
This is not going to work That's what comes from not testing the
suggestions before posting.

Change the field back to a DATE field, update it, then merge to a
new document
CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F9
will fix it.

Karen Hart wrote:
Thank you so much for replying, Graham. Coincidentally, I was on
your web site checking it out exactly when your reply came :-)
What a cool web site! I love it! And I love that cute little
thing that follows my pointer around!

Anyway, once again, I tried...I insert this into the merge MAIN
document: {CREATEDATE \@ "MMMMd, yyyy" \* MERGEFORMAT}.

But sure enough, when I merge it, this is what I see:
August 24, 2000
(This is the date I originally created this merge source
document). (Ctrl-A), (F9) is changing nothing, no matter if I do
it before and/or after merging.
Please help me out of the twilight zone!!

Thanks again,
Karen

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The date in the createdate in the merge source document is
irrelevant. If you merge to a new document the date that document
is created becomes the createdate for that document. If the field
shows the wrong date select all (CTRL+A) then update (F9). That
should fix it.

Karen Hart wrote:
Graham,
I tried that and am getting a strange result. The resulting
merged document is displaying the date the original merge form
was created...not the date the original merge form is being
merged. Does that make sense? In other words, I changed the
form document on Jan. 14 and coded the date to be CREATEDATE.
Now, every time the form is merged, the resulting date
displayed is Jan. 14.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.
Karen

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Use a CREATEDATE field for the date and merge to a new
document. The new document will always show the date of the
merge.

Karen Hart wrote:
How do I create a form file that upon merging inserts the
current date of the merge, then does not update after that
point? In other words, after the merge is complete, the
resulting document's date field should be automatically
unlinked. I do not want to teach the user to unlink the field
with Ctrl-Shift-F9, because there are several of these date
codes throughout the form file, including headers and footers,
and also I don't want to risk that the user forgets to unlink
the date field.

Thank you in advance.
Karen