Stefan Blom

1. Make sure footnote placement is "Bottom of page": On the Insert
menu, click Reference, and then click Footnote (in Word 97/2000, it's
just InsertFootnote). Click the All Footnotes tab. Make sure "Place
at" is set to "Bottom of page". Click OK, and then click Close.

2. Make sure no spacing has been added to the footnote separator:
Click Normal on the View menu. Click ViewFootnotes. In the Footnote
pane, click "Footnote Separator". Choose FormatParagraph. Click the
Indents and Spacing tab. If you see anything but 0 (zero) for Spacing
Before and Spacing After, change it to 0. And make sure Line Spacing
is set to "Single". Click OK to close the dialog box.

3. Close the Footnote pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pistaccio" wrote in message
I'm using word 2003 and I don't know how to decrease the footnote

area. When
I insert footnotes, word automatically leaves a lot of space above

them that
I cannot use to write the regular text. I would like the footnote

separator
to be just above the footnotes but I can't find how to do this.