Randy Pearson via OfficeKB.com

I should also add that every 5th table is a "real" table in that it
contains repeating rows where the user enters references. By keeping the
tables separate, it's easier for them to add rows to that table by hitting
TAB from the last cell. If the tables were merged, that would not be
possible.

But thinking about it further, without a little visual space, it may not be
obvious that the tables are separate so that this is available. So in fact,
we're no leaning toward not minding a couple of points of a gap.

[This seems like a cool forum. Glad I found it. Are there preferences, such
as getting emails when someone replies?]