Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Spellchecker not checking documents??

"Hide spelling errors" is a per-document setting and should not affect all
new documents (unless it's somehow selected in Normal.dot); in any case, it
only hides the wavy lines; F7 will still run a spelling check. Disabling
"Check spelling as you type" would also not prevent the spelling checker
from detecting errors when it is run explicitly. The fact that an explicit
spelling check fails on other machines as well suggests that the text is
formatted with the wrong language or as "Do not check spelling or grammar."

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Tools options spelling & grammar - check 'check spelling as you type'
and uncheck 'hide spelling errors'

Suzy1978 wrote:
My parents recently purchased a new PC with Word 2003. I have been
trying for ages to work out why the spellchecker is not working
wondered if someone could help.

I have checked all the usual settings and they are all ok - they are
exactly the same as on my PC. However no matter what you spell or
how the spellchecker reports no errors. I have checked the thesaurus
and that is working ok. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Word
to no avail.

Thing is if you create a document on their PC and transfer it to any
other machine the spelling will not work for that document ont he
other machine either???

I have never seen this before and I am lost as to what to try next.