Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Word 2007 Learning Curve

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:00:00 -0800, JMB wrote:

Herb and Susan, thanks for the useful feedback. Like Herb I have no choice,
with my company about to make a massive migration to Vista and Office 2007.
And I can't afford to loose much time and productivity because of this. Hence
my present preparatory work at home in my spare time. So I'll have to bite
the bullet, but this looks like it is going to be a very tough and bitter
one. Quite frankly I fail to understand what Microsoft was/is thinking.
Preparing a new document or spreadsheet seems to be all about coping with the
user interface and appearances now, and in the meantime many people seem to
forget what it is really about, i.e. the contents of the message ... The next
release has been aptly code named MS Office HAB (Hot Air Balloon). On the
other hand I suppose it is also fair to point out that I'm not getting any
younger and possibly my flexibility to adjust is no longer what it used to be.

For the "why", you may want to read the 8-part series by Jensen Harris, the lead
of the UI team, starting from the "table of contents" at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv..._/default.aspx.
It may help to have some of this background.

For the most part, I find that I do things in Word 2007 the same way I did them
in earlier versions; only the locations of the commands are different. Yes, it
takes some effort to store the new locations in permanent memory. And despite
the "new is better" facade, it's clear that some things aren't in logical
positions -- but they weren't necessarily in logical places before, just ones
that we were used to. (What the heck is a "Tools" menu, anyway? Isn't everything
a tool of one kind or another?)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman