George

Thanks Bob,

Even though I could've done better job on the subject heading, your response
was *exactly* what was needed.... In terms of what's best on CD's I already
have... it was right on the money... In add/remove, I went to MS Office
2003, clicked change, and clicked down through... Office Shared Features
Alternative user input speech. It then installed files. Then I opened
Word, clicked Tools Speech, and it finished the install, and started a
short training session. Then tried it out--Microsoft calls it a "Dictation"
feature. The accuracy is quite good, even with 10 minutes "training" by
reading passages it puts up, plus a cheap microphone, and some slight
dialect.

Thanks! ...This will save a lot of time--the main purpose is for business
contact manager...I make a lot of calls and jot down notes (jotting is
faster and more acceptable than tap/tap/tapping notes when talking), which
generates 3-4 pages on a "critical call"...then it takes 20-30 minutes to
type them in...so calling 6 people adds about 3 hours of work... Dictating
should cut that way back. Hmmm, now if only it could pick up the phone
audio and do this real time....

Now, having said that, are there brand-name packages (I used to hear a lot
about Dragon Naturally Speaking) that would work better (or "much" better),
are they reasonably priced (well under $100), and are they "integrated" with
Word, Outlook, whatever? Thanks if you or anyone has recommendations.

Regards,
George