Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Labels-single spacing - how to make default Word 2007

Incidentally, there is still some misinformation on your page regarding Word
2007 labels.

Do you happen to still be using a beta version?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I made the changes to my web site yesterday, which you may find of
interest - All your users would have to do is save the formatted merge
source document and attach the data file as required (assuming the same
field names)
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Icemaiden wrote:
Thanks you both, Beth and Graham, I was starting to think I was
totally missing something and was nuts. I will direct users to make
a default template to use and maybe MS will add something in the
future so this won't be necessary! :-)

Thanks for your time!

LT

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

OK - I see what you mean.

I had prepared my web page
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm based on the
default settings of Word 2007 and noted in it the problem with
spacing of the addresses. I subsequently modified the normal style
which is used as in previous versions as the default for tables and
took it as read that it would apply also to tables created as part
of mail merge - which as you point out it doesn't. Although the
suggestions on my web page for dealing with the spacing remain
valid, the reasons don't so I will have to re-address that over the
weekend

Beth Melton wrote:
Have you actually tried this in Word 2007 and *mail merge* labels,
Graham??
Regular labels are fine and they automatically use no spacing with
no need to modify the defaults. It's when using mail merge this
occurs. As soon as you select Labels as the main document type,
space *before* each paragraph and single space are added as direct
formatting. The new defaults use 10 pts space after (not 12) and
1.15 lines between.
Additional Notes:
- When using Outlook 2007, Word is irrelevant since Outlook no
longer uses Winword.exe and does not use Normal.dotm.
- If you want to avoid the issues with table styles, and other style
nuances we experienced in past versions, then you should modify the
Document Defaults and leave the Normal style unmodified.
- The Normal template for Word 2007 is always Norma.dotm - never
Normal.dotx.

~Beth Melton

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The normal template in Word 2007 will be normal.dotm (or dotx)
rather than normal.dot which was for earlier versions, and suggests
that you are editing the wrong file. It is certainly possible to
set the normal style to have no space before or after and thus have
labels which match. Right click 'Normal' on the home tab. Choose
'Modify'. Remove spacing from the paragraph formatting options.
Check the 'new documents based on this style' check box and when
you close out of Word (plus Outlook if running) , save the normal
template when prompted.