Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Labels-single spacing - how to make default Word 2007

I guess I don't see this as confusing. The extra padding is a function of
the Label Options dialog box when used with Mail Merge. If you don't use the
dialog box to create the label definition then the padding will not be
added. If you use the dialog box then the padding will be added since the
procedure for creating the label definition occurs when you click OK in the
Label Options dialog box.

As a matter of fact, I think mail merge in Word 2007 is the least confusing
so far. The Mailings tab categorizes each primary process for mail merge
into groups on the tab: Start Mail Merge, Write & Insert Fields, Preview
Results, and Finish. I think it's even more straightforward than the old
Mail Merge Helper. This was good but it didn't include the process for
inserting the mail merge fields. Once the dialog box closed you needed to
know to use the mail merge toolbar and find the command to insert the
fields. If you follow the commands on the Mailings tab for mail merge from
left to right, each step is presented to you. Perhaps this is an example of
how trying to continue to implement old methods will make things more
confusing in the new version?

Regarding adding the "Main Document Setup" command to the QAT, how does this
work any different than using the Start Mail Merge command on the Mailings
tab? The extra space is still added since it appears to be calling the same
routine as the Start Mail Merge command.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Incidentally, as an illustration of how confused this function is, if you
start by adding a label layout to a document from the labels tool on the
mailings tab, and then use Select Recipients to add the data source then
Insert Merge field to insert the fields (rather than use the Start The
Mail Merge) to start the merge and select the label format, the padding is
not added.

You would then have to go to the Start The Mail Merge Button, set the
document type to labels and then cancel out of the label dialog to set the
merge type as mailing labels. This doesn't then add the unwanted padding
either. I suspect this is why I missed the padding issue in the first
place as I have tended to carry over practices learned with earlier
versions and as a matter of course I would start from the table format I
wished to use.

You could even add the document type selector to the QAT - it is in the
tools 'not on the ribbon' and called 'Main Document Setup'