Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Labels-single spacing - how to make default Word 2007

Okay, I see what the difference is now, you are cancelling the Label Options
dialog box which, as we previously discussed, doesn't execute the procedure
that adds the extra spacing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
1. Hold down the CTRL key to start Word in its safe mode (thus eliminating
outside issues)
2. Open a new blank document, because safe mode doesn't open any document
space.
3. From the Labels button pick a label from Options (I am using 5264 from
Avery Letter for this experiment)
4 Create a new document from the labels tool (this will give you a new
document and is essentially the same as starting from a label template).
5. On the Mailings Tab click Select Recipients and pick Select From
Outlook Contacts
6. Pick an available contacts list
7. Click Start Merge and choose 'labels'.
8. Cancel the label dialog - we already have the label selected and this
will make available the mailing label functions.
9. Use the Insert Mergefield Button to add fields to your first label (the
tiny arrow at the button will allow you to insert the fields one at a
time. Press enter after each row of fields. The fields now have no
padding.
10. Click Update Labels - this propagates the first label content to the
others and adds Next record fields as appropriate. (still no padding
added).
11. Click 'Finish and Merge' and choose the option to Edit Individual
Documents. This merges to a new document. Still no padding.

While this process does not follow the logical progression left to right
along the Mailings tab of the ribbon as you would if creating labels from
resident templates, it would be a logical process if the merge is to start
from a label template eg one downloaded from Avery or created yourself for
a specific purpose.

Beth Melton wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Beth Melton wrote:

Regarding adding the "Main Document Setup" command to the QAT, how
does this work any different than using the Start Mail Merge
command on the Mailings tab? The extra space is still added since
it appears to be calling the same routine as the Start Mail Merge
command.

It doesn't work differently - but the space is not added if you
merely change the document type (of an already loaded template) to
labels and then continue the merge process.

If I start with my own labels and use the Main Document Setup
command to change the label type the space is still added. Are you
not seeing the same thing?

Not if you have already attached the data source.

Start with a label format on screen (either from a template or from
the new document feature of the Label tool under Mailings). Attach
the data source (Select Recipients). Whether you now add the fields
or change the document type to 'labels' the space is not added. It
is only added if you choose the document type before you apply the
data source.

I've tried various methods attempting to figure out what you are
seeing but in each scenario, even if I keep the same label type, when
I change the type to labels the space is still added.