Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FrequentWordie FrequentWordie is offline

Default Absolute hyperlinks without losing local hyperlinks! 2nd attem

We have various mirrored servers at different sites with the main server
containing the main file (using lots of include test and other hyper links)
that points to many locations. I chose to set up the base hyperlink to
position the hyperlink pointer at the most convenient place and at the point
that is mirrored using the same initial drive letter so all links would work,
which they do. The issue is that once I set it up, I lost the ability to use
either the built in TOC or /h hyperlinks to the various heading in the main
document. I think I also lost the ability to use bookmarks as the target as
well but need to check that out. I tried everything I could think of to get
the TOC working again and also many alternative ways to get the external
links to work short of setting the base hyperlink.
By the way the behaviour of the TOC click is Word opens a new file explorer
window to the hyperlink base location.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In what situation does this affect TOC hyperlinks? Ordinarily this is not an
issue.

"FrequentWordie" wrote in message
So since all this traffic, has there been a solution to using TOC
hyperlinks
when the Hyperlink Base (which I have to do for my situation) is set?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There are some settings you can check on. The problems I had were in
trying
to maintain relative links in Web pages; inability to do this forced me
upgrade to FrontPage for Web authoring, which of course was the right
decision. But have a look at these variables:

1. Hyperlink base in File | Properties. There seem to be varying opinions
about whether having one or not having one helps.

2. Tools | Options | General: Update automatic links at Open.

3. Tools | Options | General: Web Options... | Files: Update links on
save.
(My problem was with "updating" links on open rather than save, however.)

so
all may benefit.

"MattM" wrote in message
Suzanne, Fred, Many thanks for getting back to me on this one.

Fred: I think you are saying that, for you, Word *doesn't* convert
absolute
hyperlinks to relative if you use a full absolute path, in the form
\\servername\volume\folder1\folder2\...\docname.do c, in the hyperlink
destination box.

That is *not* my experience - Word automatically converts even this
into a
relative path.

I don't know why it does this: it's not at all helpful, and presumably
it
would have been less work for the Word programmers not have implemented
this
feature.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the exact version of Word/Windows
use
in my workplace right now, but I believe it's Word 2002 running on
Windows
XP. I'll do yet more experimentation with this in the office tomorrow
and
try
and post some specific details of the behaviour of my version of Word
in
various situations, in the hope this will shed a little more light
here.

Thanks again, M