Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kees Kees is offline

Default Absolute hyperlinks without losing local hyperlinks! 2nd attem

Voila! I've spent hours repairing broken links in a long Word 2007 document
that was saved on SharePoint server. Here's where I found the selection box
that was probably causing the problem:
1. In the Word document, click the colored circle at the top left.
2. At the bottom of the drop-down menu that appears, click Word Options.
3. In the left column, click Advanced.
4. Scroll to the end of the window and click the Web Options button.
5. Click the Files tab.
6. De-select the "Update links on save" option.
7. Click OK to close the windows and go celebrate!

Now I'm wondering if there is a way to make this the default so that I don't
have to do it on every document.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Try unchecking tools options general web options files update
links on save.

Paulo wrote:
The problem is the Excel limit of 219 caracteres.
My team had links as R:\myexcel.xls inside its MS Office 2003
documents. Everything went well.

But when we installed the Office Service Pack 3, the Office now
automatically translate to
\\madomaine\myshare\myfolder1\myfolder2\a lot of folders\foder
n\myexcel.xls

What a nigthmare. The Windows is not able to open the Excel files.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote:

But when I went to My Network Places and searched for the Gemini
server, I got an address that looked like
\\Zodiac\Gemini\TechWriters\document.doc. When I used that kind of
address in my hyperlinks (instead of e:\TechWriters\document.doc),
everything worked fine for everybody.

What am I missing in this problem?

Fred