Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I change line spacing in comment balloons?

I almost never use balloons, but my recollection (and this may have changed
in Word 2007) is that both Balloon Text and Comment Text affect balloons. I
think it was Bob Buckland who pointed this out. I see, however, that I have
this turned around. Balloon Text is the character style that is used for the
"Comment" or "Deleted" or whatever label. By default (in Word 2003, at
least), it is 8 pt Tahoma. Oddly, the style definition doesn't specify bold,
although these labels do appear bold. Even more interestingly, if I change
the size of Balloon Text to 12 pt Tahoma, the size of the text in the
balloons (which is TNR) is also increased. The balloons still definitely
show Comment Text (in the comments) and Normal (in the deleted items).

Even more interesting, the balloons show Comment Text as being 10-pt TNR and
the Normal text in the Deleted balloon as 12-pt TNR, despite the fact that
they are obviously the same size!

That's not the worst news, though: it seems that in my attempts to help
another user the other day, I have managed to get my Normal style
contaminated Asian (SimSun) font and Chinese (PRC) language. sigh

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Hmmm... as far as I've been able to determine, the Balloon Text style will
affect comments in balloons only if you actually apply that style to
them... the same is true of any style applied to comments in balloons (but
balloon comments will always default to using the Comment Text style, and
won't use certain aspects of style-based formatting).

I don't see any effect on Inserted/Deleted text in Balloons.

Can describe what steps you're taking?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The style Balloon Text has some effect on text in balloons (comments as
well as insertions/deletions).

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
The font itself can be changed, but font size and line spacing affect
only what you see in the Reviewing Pane (at least in Word 2007 and Word
2003). But, I don't quite understand why dnover is seeing double-spaced
in bubbles. I see only single spacing there.

As far as I can tell, if there is a style for Deleted and Inserted text,
it is not accessible. You are limited to the options provided in Track
Changes Options.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"grammatim" wrote in message
You need to find the list of All Styles Used in your Document (you get
at it differently in the different versions of Word), and you'll find
one called Comment. Right-click on it, choose Modify, and make your
changes as in any other style.

On Sep 20, 3:42 pm, dnover wrote:
I want to change the style of the text in the comment balloons used in
"track
changes"--both the font and the line-spacing (from double-space to
single). I
would think that one could simply insert the cursor in the bubble and
use the
usual paragraph format menu, but that does not work.
I would also like to change the style in the bubbles that appear for
text
alterations, e.g., Deleted and Formatted. Thanks for any suggestions.