Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can I change Word 2007 menu back to 2003 drop-downs?

I was very annoyed with Microsoft for squandering many years of user
experience with the introduction of Word 2007. I resisted it for a long
time, but like anything else you get used to it and the new layout is
logical. I still find myself reverting to Word 2003 to do some things more
quickly (which is easy enough as you can have both installed -
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm ) but on balance it is worth
persevering with Word 2007.

Beth Melton wrote:
Interestingly, I'm by no means any type of "gamer" and I'm not much
for "eye candy" (I need functionality - not something pretty to look
at!!) but now that I've grown accustomed to the new UI the old one
now looks a little crude when I look at it. I think part of it is
what you get used to seeing.
I hated it at first too but now that I've learned more about the new
features that have been implemented (there's more to the change than
a new look) I can't imagine ever living without some of them. Here
are a couple recent posts on this topic.

This one contains some tips on using Office 2007:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...74095495101d1c

This one contains some information on what I think are a few of the
most exciting changes in Word 2007:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fef3bf5e?hl=en

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Bev" wrote in message
Why does the 2007 version have to look like a game? It's a tool. For
those
of us who want the applications we live in daily to be tools, we
really need
a classic menu interface. MS is going to kill Office 2003
eventually. Then
what?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:30:08 -0800, Frustrated - London Frustrated
- wrote:

Just wondering whether I can change the graphics-based Word 2007
menu back to
the 2003/ 'alt' + a, b style menu, which (in spite of working hard
at it over
the last month) I find clearer, faster and more logical than all
these teeny,
indistinct icons!

No, there's no support for menus in 2007. If you're interested in
the reasons for this, or want to argue with the man in charge, visit
Jensen Harris's blog at
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv...s/default.aspx.

If you remember the keyboard shortcuts from 2003, they all still
work. But some people are just not ever going to get comfortable
with the new style and will be happier staying with 2003.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman