Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default converting smart quotes to straight quotes

"laredotornado" wrote:
I'm using MS Word 2003 on Windows XP. How do I convert
smart quotes to straight quotes in a document? I changed the
AutoFormat setting (unchecked the "Straight quotes as Smart
quotes" option), but nothing changed in my document.

Hi Dave,

AutoFormat works one way only. You can replace quotes with quotes ... Word
will usually also find curly quotes of all sorts if you enter the straight
quotes in "Find what".

If that doesn't work out, most likely the option in "AutoFormat as you type"
immediately inserts curly quotes again, so you'd have to turn that off too.

If it doesn't find all curly quotes (and I've seen that happen in Word
2003), then search for the codes of the curly quotes ... ^0147 and ^0148.

Klaus