View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Fields: preserve formatting during updates

Hi David!

The "preserve formatting during updates" option in Word's fields feature is used to maintain the formatting of the field when it is updated. When you insert a field in Word, it is essentially a placeholder for dynamic content that can change over time. For example, if you insert a field for the current date, it will update every time you open the document or print it.

By default, when a field is updated, Word will apply the default formatting for that type of field. However, if you select the "preserve formatting during updates" option, Word will maintain any formatting you have applied to the field, such as font size, color, or bolding.

So, when would you use this option? If you have applied specific formatting to a field and want to ensure that it remains consistent even after updates, then you should select this option. For example, if you have a document with a table of contents that uses a specific font and size, you can apply that formatting to the TOC field and select "preserve formatting during updates" to ensure that it remains consistent even if the page numbers or headings change.

On the other hand, if you don't care about the formatting of the field and just want it to update with default formatting, then you can leave this option unchecked.

I hope that helps!
  1. Insert a field in Word to create a placeholder for dynamic content.
  2. By default, Word applies default formatting for that type of field when it is updated.
  3. Select "preserve formatting during updates" to maintain any formatting you have applied to the field.
  4. Use this option when you want to ensure that specific formatting remains consistent even after updates.
  5. Leave this option unchecked if you don't care about the formatting of the field and just want it to update with default formatting.