Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Tracked changes: show as "moved" instead of inserted/deleted

On Oct 16, 3:17*pm, Greg Maxey wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:50*pm, JenC wrote:

Is there a way to get Word 2007 to show a moved sentence as "moved", instead
of as a deletion and subsequent insertion elsewhere?

When I googled this I found an old post from the MS Word team's blog
(http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...6/10/13/nice-m....)
that seemed to say this was the case. However, when I try it (moving an
entire sentence to another position in the same paragraph), it still marks it
as an insertion/deletion. Did they remove this feature?

JenC,

I’ll leave Mr. Daniels to foam at the mouth, and try to provide a
better answer to your questions:

Yes. While the feature does not work as we might intuitively think it
should or like we might wish it did, if used in a specific manner you
can get a track changes to show a sentence moved rather than deleted
and inserted elsewhere. No. The feature has not been removed.

--the most basic response to the original question being, You need to
turn it on within Track Changes Options -- it is not turned on "out of
the box" (as I said).

Some points for use:

1. The text unit you wish to move must be a complete sentence unit.
This can be a single word or heading that Word recognizes as a
sentence.

--as I said.

2. The text unit can not contain unaccepted changes (e.g., deletions
or insertions).

--as I said.

3. Mr. Daniels is wrong. Moved text can be restored to its former
location using the “Reject” button or by right clicking the move
balloon and checking “reject” move.

--This has changed since I tried to use "Move" when I initiated the
intial thread that Cdr. (Ret.) Maxey so distortingly referenced.
Presumably the change was made in one of the periodic Updates.

4. Mr. Daniels is wrong again. Changes (e.g., insertions or deletions)
made in moved text will be annotated.

--ditto. Moreover, when one tries to Reject a Move with Changes, a box
opens asking whether to keep the original text or the changed text in
the old location.

Since pictures seldom lie, I have posted one illustrating these
points, purely for Mr. Daniel’s benefit. See:http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Poor_peter.htm

Who is "Mr. Daniel"?

If you would like I can send you an actual document showing these
examples.