Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Default Editing spell-check lexicon

Sorry Beth, I'm using 2003 not 2007 (got confused coz I have 2007 at home).

My exclusion dictionary is named MSSP3EN.EXC and located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\JonathanFinney\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

Does this make any difference?

My test (and currently the only entry in the exclusion dictionary) is the
word 'fro' that I frequently mistype in place of 'for'. Although 'fro' is a
real (if somewhat arcane) word, I'm unlikely to use it so I found out about
the exclusion dictionary.

I just tested it in the OE Newsreader I'm using and it doesn't work here
either.

I'd like to get it fixed though!

JF.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Since you are using Office 2007, what did you name the exclusion
dictionary
and where is it placed?

You are correct, Office apps should share spell check features and I can
use
my exclusion dictionary in Word, Outlook, PPT, Excel. (I didn't verify
Access when this came up.) So if you can't use it then something isn't
right.

Although....Exchange Server 2003 could have something to do with it. I've
heard about a few strange bugs for those using Exchange 2003 and Outlook
2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Thanks Beth.

Both are from the Office 2007 CD (supplied in MS Action Pack).

Our server is running SBS 2003 R2 and Exchange server 2003, so the client
PCs had to be added to the domain. I understand that some changes are
made to the client PCs, including some changes to the Outlook clients,
but
I can't see that this should affect the spell-check in any way.

Am I right in assuming that all Office apps should share the
spell-checking engine and thereby share the exclusion dictionary that is
the subject of this post?

JF.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
What version of Word and Outlook are you using? Are you using mixed
versions? For example Word 2003 and Outlook 2007?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne.

I do use the spellchecker for emails. In fact it's a great pity that
Word can't invoke this automatically when a document is closed in the
same way Outlook does when a message is sent. It's saved me so many
mistakes it's difficult to see why this isn't on by default or, indeed,
why anybody would want to disable it.

What you've suggested is a fair explanation of why it doesn't work, but
I can't help but think that such behaviour is by design. Much more
likely that it's been overlooked and remains broken because most people
just put up with it and haven't bothered to complain. Is there
anything
I can do to get that might help to highlight the problem and get a fix
scheduled for some attention?

JF.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It would appear that perhaps they share the same lexicon (and perhaps
Custom.dic) but not the exclusion dictionary? I don't use the spell
checker
in emails, so I wouldn't know.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
I just noticed that this only appears to work on the Word
spellchecker
as
an
email I just sent had the 'fro' mistake in it.

I thought all Office products shared the spellchecker?

How can I achieve that same thing for spellchecking in Outlook?

JF.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne.

That's just what I wanted. I did this on a previous installation
and it
didn't work (probably did something wrong), but this time it's spot
on!

JF.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
How do I edit the spell-check lexicon to exclude certain words
from
the
spell-check?

The reason for this is that certain errors are not flagged as
errors
because
the mis-spelled word is a valid word that's included in the
lexicon
and
isn't flagged as an error. An example of this is the word 'for'
which
often mis-type as 'fro'. Because 'fro' is a valid word it isn't
flagged
as
a mistake. However it's a word I'd rarely use, if ever and it
would
be
much
better if I could remove this from the lexicon so my mistyping of
the
word
'for' would show as a mistake.

JF.