Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default how to link a page

If you really mean an index rather than a table of contents, Word does not
hyperlink index entries. You could set this up manually by inserting a
bookmark at the location to which you want to be taken, converting the index
into hard text (Ctrl+Shift+F9), and inserting a hyperlink to that bookmark
in the "index". Depending on how long your index is, this could be a very
laborious process. The biggest problem is that an index often refers to
multiple locations in a document, and a given bookmark can occur only once.
Hence, for index entries with multiple references in the document, you would
have to pick one of them or include a separate bookmark for each location
you want hyperlinked.

On the other hand, if you really mean a table of contents, then Suzanne's
advice will tell you what you need to know.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Carl R" wrote in message
I am creating a large document in Word. On the index page I want to click
on
a category that will take me to that certain spot in the document. Can
this
be done? I have searched help but can't find, probaley not using the
correct
verbage, can you help please ???
--
Microsoft Office 2003 Version