Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default "Lost" Word docs

I think what needs to be put into perspective here is the unforeseen issues
that would occur if Word did automatically save documents. Consider the
times you, or the many, many others, have opened a previously created
document, made changes, but saved those changes to as a new file in order to
prevent modifications on the original. If Word automatically saved those
revisions before you could use Save As and save a copy then users would be
faced with the inabilty to recover documents that contain changes they
didn't want to save. Granted they could potientally use Undo but that would
result in doing a lot of work over again. This new issue would be equally
detrimental, wouldn't you agree? There are several other examples in which
users wouldn't be happy if Word automatically saved documents as well.

So what does a one do in order to attempt to make everyone happy? The
easiest solution is to give users the choice to save or not save changes by
creating a Save command that doesn't function automatically. After all,
using Ctrl + S to clicking a button to save the file really isn't asking too
much. After awhile it becomes habit - just like putting your car in Drive
when you want to move forward or putting your car in Reverse when you want
to move backward becomes second nature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne
That is an unreal comparison.
When I BUY something, I expect it to work as well as possible and, if
there
is a known problem, for the manufacturer to fix it. if not, I simply buy
another product!
Why do you avoid the realissue - it is a problem for loads of people, has
been for ages, and should be fixed.
Why not?!!!
Roy