Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How can I insert BOTH a header and upper-right page numbering

Thanks, Mr. Mayor: I appreciate your time and effort, but I'm still not
clear and so I apologize. Perhaps my first post was itself unclear.

Some editors prefer a header in the upper left corner that give the author's
name and book title (e.g., "Riggs -- Postmodernism") and then the page number
in the upper right corner, preferable not appearing on the first page of a
given chapter.

Word 2007 -- which, by the way I find to be a big leap forward -- has a
"Ribbon" across the top that can be minimized if so desired. One of the tabs
on the Ribbon is "Insert," with a "Header and Footer" section. Clicking on
"Header" produces a "Built In" header option. When I click on the pictorial
image that would supply a left header ("Riggs -- Postmodernism," for example)
that header appears on the page. If I use the same "Header and Footer"
section of the "Insert" tab and click on "Page Number" a drop-down menu
appears. Clicking on "top" produces pictorial options and clicking on the
one for the right side produces a page number on the right side, which I can
then hide by clicking on the "Different First Page" option on the "Design"
tab that has appeared.

In the process of entering this page number, the prior header that was
entered on the left side ("Riggs -- Postmodernism") has disappeared. At this
point all I can essentially do is have a running header upper in the upper
left or the page number appear in the upper right, but not both at the same
time.

Using Word 2007 I can't seem to follow your help in solving this, probably
because I'm not experienced enough with Word. (My other books were written
in WordPerfect.) Sorry.

John

PS As an aside, the Microsoft link that came to my mailbox didn't show
anything whatsoever even though it found a site and said "Done." I found
your e-mail while browsing the Discussion Group section on the Microsoft
website.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you want the page number and text to appear in the upper right hand
corner of *every* page put the text and a page number field right aligned in
the header view.
If you want the page number to appear on every page but the text to appear
only on the first page, set a different first page header in page setup and
put the page number field and text in the first page header and the page
number field only in the subsequent page header(s).
If you want the Chapter titles at the top of the page, investigate the use
of the Styleref field in the header.

Prof. JR wrote:
Some of my book editors like both a header (e.g., author -- book
title) and the page number to appear in the upper right hand corner.
This works fine in WordPerfect, but because Word reckons page
numbering to be headers as such I can't seem to format Word
documents this way. Can it be done and, if so, how?