Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prof. JR[_2_] Prof. JR[_2_] is offline

Default How can I insert BOTH a header and upper-right page numbering?

Hi Mr. Buckland,

Thank you. This is actually interesting to me, though I'm not a software
expert, only a long-time user. (From grad school onward.) What I like about
WP is being able to format by using simple buttons, all of which are discrete
commands (e.g., page number, header, and so on), and all of which can be
removed or moved through "View Codes." Everything seems intuitive and
transparent, and without pre-set formatting or auto-formatting, which I find
unhelpful if not, to be honest, insulting.

When I began using Word 2003 because some institutional documents came that
way, especially when I had to work with documents that others had produced,
the pre-set formats and auto-formatting that came in documents made life much
worse not better. It puzzled me why smart people could make an "unhelpful"
product. So, it helps a great deal to know something of the basic approach
that Word takes. (See also Mr. Mayor's comment on 8/17).

For the moment I'm running Word 2007 as though it were WP: I've minimized
the Ribbon, loaded the Quick Access toolbar with all the basic commands I
need (formatting, footnotes, endnotes, and so on), and set the default for 12
pt, double spaced, Times New Roman -- the basic academic standard. The
Ribbon pops up occasionally when more commands are needed, but that's OK
since the commands are needed. By the way, this type of arrangement makes
Word 2007 a vast improvement over 2003 which, so far as I was concerned, had
too many commands I needed buried too far below in sub-menus. Now things are
pretty much at hand, so to speak.

One last thinking out loud: On 8/17 you mentioned the marketing theme of
"21st Century Documents." Perhaps that explains the default setting for Word
2007 as Calibri, 11 pt, and line-spacing set at one and one-half , settings
that no one I know would ever use, except perhaps my daughter when writing to
Hannah Montana.

Thank you for your time. I feel as though I'm getting a private tutorial in
Word and want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts.

John

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi John,

A Page number isn't considered to be, in itself, a header, but a part of a header. You can create pretty much any header you want
in Word (and it can take over or support a whole page look if needed). The Quick Part gallery is one of 36 building block galleries
in Word 2007. Each gallery can store reusable content.

Once you have setup a header that you like (be it a 3 column borderless table with a reference on the left, nothing in the middle
and a page number on the right) you can save that into the 'Page Number' or 'Header' gallery.

Once created, you can reuse the building block to replace whatever you may have in a created, inherited or collaborative document,
with the 'desired content and format'.

Word 2007 also has themeing, which allows you to change the look of the whole document later for final layout or just to 'see how it
might look' using the same type of 'mouse over preview' features that WordPerfect has had for awhile that doesn't actually change
the document.

If you have a layout as in the one you mentioned previously, but need to use it in one form for one destination and in a different
font/color etc for another destination you can apply those changes without recreating the underlying table or tab set format you had
already worked on.

It is possible to work on Word entirely in either its' HTML/XML or Open Office XML underlying code (which means if so inclined
someone can create an entirely different User Interface and work on Word files without Word) but basically, you can switch to
draft or outline view, type away and add the looks later, (build then paint) if that works better for you

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if WordPerfect's 'owners' hadn't sold the product/company a number of times. There were
some definitely weird results in some of the product versions I've been involved with that product since it came on spool of
magnetic tape and was a text/code editor on a Data General mini-computer. It has a different origin base and approach than Word
and both products have a place and features that the other could use.

The Building Block galleries can be helpful for the 'now where did I save that' question when you know you had something 'only last
year' but don't want to go through a lot of documents to find it .

===============
"Prof. JR" wrote in message ...
Hi Mr. Freedman,

Thank you so much. This method works just fine and I appreciate your help.

Not to "bite the hand that feeds me," but I don't understand why Word should
be arranged like this; actually, why a page number should be considered a
"header" so that this problem occurs. On a number of seemingly simple issues
like this one WordPerfect runs so much simpler, which is why so many scholars
I know prefer WP to Word when writing complex documents.

Forgive my kvetching and please know that, as an end-user, I do find Word
2007 a great deal friendlier than 2003.

John
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)