Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Absolute hyperlinks without losing local hyperlinks! 2nd attem

I'm glad that worked for you (and that the hyperlink base is good for
*something*).

"Dahz" wrote in message
I just wanted to thank Suzanne because her tip #1 was the best for me.

My problem was that I had to send a file with some hyperlinks to many team
members. The hyperlinks were addressed to different files in the same

folder
in our company's file server.

Every time I sent the email, the hyperlinks changed from the file server
address to a Outlook local directory one, but when I stated the hyperlink
base as the directory in the file server, the problem was gone!

Thank you so much!

dahz

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There are some settings you can check on. The problems I had were in

trying
to maintain relative links in Web pages; inability to do this forced me

upgrade to FrontPage for Web authoring, which of course was the right
decision. But have a look at these variables:

1. Hyperlink base in File | Properties. There seem to be varying

opinions
about whether having one or not having one helps.

2. Tools | Options | General: Update automatic links at Open.

3. Tools | Options | General: Web Options... | Files: Update links on

save.
(My problem was with "updating" links on open rather than save,

however.)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MattM" wrote in message
Suzanne, Fred, Many thanks for getting back to me on this one.

Fred: I think you are saying that, for you, Word *doesn't* convert

absolute
hyperlinks to relative if you use a full absolute path, in the form
\\servername\volume\folder1\folder2\...\docname.do c, in the hyperlink
destination box.

That is *not* my experience - Word automatically converts even this

into a
relative path.

I don't know why it does this: it's not at all helpful, and presumably

it
would have been less work for the Word programmers not have

implemented
this
feature.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the exact version of Word/Windows

use
in my workplace right now, but I believe it's Word 2002 running on

Windows
XP. I'll do yet more experimentation with this in the office tomorrow

and
try
and post some specific details of the behaviour of my version of Word

in
various situations, in the hope this will shed a little more light

here.

Thanks again, M