Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default merge instructions from text file

Your further response creates more questions than answers I'm afraid.

Am I to take it that document1.doc is a merge document containing fields
represented in data.txt, and that data.txt will contain a single record and
that custdir will change according to the customer? Thus you are intending
to run a lot of individual merges?

No guarantees that it will take us any farther, but can you tell us a lot
more about what you are doing and the documents involved.

Steve wrote:
The text file example provided IS the instruction. Each record
contains three filenames. For example, the first record:

c:\templatedir\document1.doc,c:\custdir\data.txt,c :\custdir\output1.rtf

says merge [data.txt] with [document1.doc] and write [output1.rtf]

Steve

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

What 'instructions' do you propose adding to the text file that would
trigger the need to re-merge? Is this text file the data file?
A word merge will write all its output to a single file - you could
split that file later into separate documents, but it would always
start as a single file. Whether what you propose is doable or not
depends on exactly what it is you are proposing and you have
provided insufficient information about the project to form an
opinion.

Steve wrote:
This is an interesting assignment:

I need to feed information to Word 2000 telling it to merge given
files with given data, producing given output. I figure I would
append instructions to a text file, then have a Word macro
periodically look at the text file, and, if instructions were found,
perform a merge. The text file would look something like this:

c:\templatedir\document1.doc,c:\custdir\data.txt,c :\custdir\output1.rtf
c:\templatedir\document2.doc,c:\custdir\data.txt,c :\custdir\output2.rtf

So, the macro would merge document1.doc with data.txt and write
output1.rtf, and continue to the next record, etc.

I'm not a VB programmer, does this look doable?