Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default OpenOffice? Office 2007 [new Word features/hinderances]

You can download and install the Windows version of Open Office
http://openoffice.org at no cost. That's probably a better marker for how it would handle your needs and existing documents. There
are converters available for the Office 2007 XML files with the Open Office Oasis ones as well as older file types.

================
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
That's actually kinda funny ...

I've just read through the year-old thread "how do i enable the old
menu bar" where many of the shortcomings of Office2007 have been
discussed, especially right after its release, and it does little to
enhance confidence in the new version.

But: I'm looking longingly at the recently introduced tiny notebook
computer (with 7" screen , 512 Mb RAM and 4 Gb storage, weighing 2
lbs., and a $350 price tag -- I don't want to get too specific lest
everyone suddenly rush off and sign up on the waiting list for the
$500 model that will have double those memory amounts in the same-size
unit) that runs on Linux and comes with 40 apps including OpenOffice
(plus, it says it can run XP Pro if you already own the disk). I
downloaded the 500-page OpenOffice manual, and it _looks_ like it can
do just about everything I'm used to (probably not Track Changes, but
that's not the sort of thing one would do on the road anyway). (I've
never had a reason to use a spreadsheet, so Excel is irrelevant.)

Am I missing something? Does OpenOffice have drawbacks I won't
discover until I try to start doing something a little sophisticated?

(I guess for me specifically, I need to know if it supports Unicode,
right-to-left, and character scripts.)

Thanks all!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)