Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gordon Biggar Gordon Biggar is offline

Default Transfering Excel data into Word data file

Since I have been unable to solve the DDE problem (refer to Sept. 30 post
below), concerning the use of Excel name and address data files being used
by Word merge files, I have created a name and address file (Header and
Data) in Word instead. For some reason, this works, whereas attempts to use
an Excel data file does not.

However, two things arise. The Header file that I use is long enough that I
cannot view all of the fields on the monitor, and there is no ability to
scroll across the page.

Secondly, I do keep numeric information in some of the fields in the Data
file, which is why I originally used an Excel-based data file. Formerly, to
update any data in the Excel data file, I would simply copy the incoming
data from selected columns in incoming Excel spreadsheets, and copy the data
into the appropriate fields in the name and address spreadsheet. Is there a
way that I can take incoming data from Excel spreadsheets and copy it into
the Word name and address file (i.e, the new data file)? Or, will I have to
type it in manually, a laborious process?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas