Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Default How do I make a list of people from an *.mdb recipients list

Can you figure out where I went astray?

It's not obvious. It's certainly not how directory merges usually work, so
something unusual must be going on.

What happens if you start with a completely blank document and
a. connect to the data source
b. insert /one/ mailmerge field, with no additional lines after it
c. ensure that the paragraph does not have "page break before" specified
d. ensure that the page layout is (say) single page, not double-page layout
etc.
e. do the merge?

I would expect to see the data for the selected field appear one record
after another without even a paragraph break, e.g. if the value in record 1
was A, in record 2 was B, and so on, I would actually expect to see
ABC...

If I put one more paragraph mark after the field, I would expect to see

Peter Jamieson

"Vicki" wrote in message
Thank you. I've done everything you said (I'm using Word 2002 but the
menu
choice is Directory, not Catalog). Can you figure out where I went
astray?
1) open new doc 2)Insert 1 row table with 2 columns and open data source
3)
insert mail merge field Last Name in first cell and Address in second cell
4)
Click Merge to New Document. I got 39 pages with one address on each.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that you are using a Directory type mailmerge main document.
assume that because of your use of the terminology "*.mdb recipients
list"
that you are using Word XP or Word 2003. If you are using an earlier
version of Word, it is called a Catalog type mail merge.

In either case, if you insert a one row table into the main document and
into the cells of that table, you insert the mergefields, then when you
execute the merge to a new document, that new document will contain a row
of
data for each record in the data source.

There should be nothing else in the main document apart from that one row
table.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Vicki" wrote in message
I think I didn't put enough in my main document (I had only Last Name
and
Address on one line). What do I put there if I want is a list of Last
Name
and Address for each record? How do I get it to put consecutive
records
on
the same page? Thank you for helping.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Ok, it shouldn't, unless you have done something like..
a. inserted a page break in your mail merge main document
b. inserted a paragraph that has "page break before" formatting, or
used
paragraph style with that formatting attached (I would suspect the
latter,
if you have used a Heading style to introduce each entry in your
directory).

Peter Jamieson
"Vicki" wrote in message
I chose the Directory option. That is what put each record on a
separate
page.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

In the first step of the Mail Merge Wizard, or using the first
button
on
the
Mail Merge toolbar, choose the "Directory" option.

Peter Jamieson

"Vicki" wrote in message
I have printed envelopes using a mail merge in Word. How do I
print
one-page list of the recipients' names and addresses using the
same
*.mdb
list? When I try to make a directory from the recipients' list
each
record
is on a separate page. I want all records to be on one page. In
other
words, I want a single-page list of the people I sent invitations
to.
Any
help?