Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ardmore ardmore is offline

Default Word failed to start correctly last time

Now for powerpoint I have the same problem. But excel is okay.

"ardmore" wrote:

I found files ~$werword.dot and deleted them.
Do I have to clean the registry.

Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If all instances of Word are closed (check by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and look
for winword.exe) then you should be able to delete all relevant temporary
files. If in doubt reboot first. Leave the ones in the temp folder that
Windows has locked.

With that out of the way it is the second link that provides the
troubleshooting information. Work through the tips provided, with particular
reference to add-ins and the data key in the registry.

ardmore wrote:
If I click no, the word restarts and the message pops up again.
I followed you web page's instructions but I can't delete all temp
files because windows disallowed for deleting some files.

What should I do?

Thanks

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

There is no normal.dot in Word 2007 - the normal template is
normal.dotm, which is not the only cause of a failed start. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.
What happens if you simply answer no to the prompt?

ardmore wrote:
Hello, I am using office 2007 and get the error below.
I tried to find normal.dot but nothing found.
Only normal.dotm found, deleted it but still failed.

Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.
Do you want to start Word in safe mode?

Thanks for your help.