Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Wandering text box

Any wrapped object is anchored to a text paragraph and will move with it.
Although you can specify its position on the page, it will appear on the
same page as the paragraph it is anchored to. Beyond that, the positioning
of wrapped graphics is a mystery to me, which is why I avoid them insofar as
possible. Unless I absolutely, positively have to wrap text around graphics,
I usually leave them and their captions inline (with whichever is above
formatted as "Keep with next") or put them in a borderless table cell.

"Jim K" wrote in message
Good morning Suzanne,

Yes I do understand that problem. I am not planning to do a table of

figures
for this book as the document has over 400 of them that would make the

table
at least 8 pages long and at the cost of printing today, it is not worth

it.
In other books I've used frames as you suggest and that works OK.

Any ideas on why the box wanders when it is filled?

Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Note that if you are going to want to generate a table of figures, Word

will
not see a caption in a text box. A frame is more suitable for this

purpose.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim K" wrote in message
news
Hello Suzanne,

I do know that, but there is also a figure label under the picture,

and to
keep both of them together it seems appropriate to enclose both of

them in
the text box.

I have in the past used a table two elements tall and one wide for

this
and
flowed the text around the table, but that has other problems...

I really would like to solve this problem.

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, to begin with, you do not need a text box to insert a wrapped

picture.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim K" wrote in message
I added a text box to a full page of text in a very long document

..
The
box
is about 4" square and is positioned at the top right of the print

portion
of
the page (not in the margins). Before filling the box I set the

attribute
have the text wrap around the box which occurred quite nicely.

I then set the focus to the interior of the box and attempted to

add a
..jpg
image in the box using InsertPictureFrom File...[ref to .jpg

file].

The picture goes in just fine but the text box jumps to the prior

page. I
cannot move the box back to the original location as it always

jumps
prior page.

I have tried turning off the move with text attribute. I have

tried
assigning an absolute location, and in fact I've twiddled every

attribute
on
the format text box advanced options.

Why does this occur and how can I prevent this action?

Thanks for your help.