Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

Default Recent files are not appearing in a open file name drop down

Thanks for the additional details - and to Suzanne too. :-)

Now that I know what you are referring to, I still see the
AutoComplete list if I type in the File Name text box. So that must
mean it is controlled by another setting and it looks like it is this
key in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\General

And the String value: "Use AutoComplete" is what controls it. Make
sure this key is set to a value "Yes".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Marcus" wrote in message
Sorry, I should have explained my problem a little better than I
did.

In word 97 I used to be able to select a recent file (word doc) that
would
appear in a drop down list after I had typed the first few letters
of the
file name into the file name section of the file open box.

ie: I would go to File Open enter a few letters of the doc in File
Name and
all the recent docs with a similar name would appear in a drop list
under the
Fine Name Box. I would then click on the one I wanted.

This was usefull as I use alot of documents that are the same with
only
slight changes and save each file with a different name.

Is there anyway that this can be activated in Word 2003?

I hope this makes more sense.

Marcus